7.0 Lessons Learned
- Sleep is essential to a well balanced lifstyle
- It was really an eye opener at how clearly we could, in our opinion, define the requirements and still encouter misunderstandings with the customers.
- Communication is a very fine line. Even though you think you're understood you're often not.
- Giving a good presentation takes lots of preparation
- Parkinson's Law does apply
- Copy and pasting source code can be dangerous
- Backup anything that will take you more than 15 minutes to redo.
- Team co-operation will make or break your project!
- It's hard to keep track of what everyone is doing.
- Define your group identity early and make it something you can be proud of and want to work for.
- Work hard and really strive for perfection early on. Things you don't do early on turn into major headaches later. Perfection early on translates into a much easier time later.
- Technical expertise is handy but will not get you through this course
- Time management is key
- Presentation is everything
- Start things early, you'll thank yourself later
If you're a new SENG365 student and you're reading my comments now, you might understand the words that I'm saying....but you will not understand until you experience the process.
You are going to feel pain...expect it...you're going to lose sleep...prepare for it. You're going to wonder how this can possibly be humane.....it isn't. The only thing that might save you is if you come back and look at this list every week so these points are always at the forefront of your mind.
You will learn a lot in this course, but you're going to pay the price. Don't make any plans for the next four months.